Know What to Expect at H1B/H4 Visa Interviews from these 2 Experiences
The process of fingerprinting at the VAC center took about 15-20 minutes.
My appointment was scheduled at 11:00 a.m. and I reached the venue at 10:30 a.m. However, I was asked to wait until 10:45 a.m. before being let in. Our passports were checked at the entrance and then we underwent a security check inside like the ones done at airports. Next, we were seated on benches under a shed, which was within the boundary of the consulate but outside of the main building. We were asked to enter the queue after waiting for 15 minutes. Our fingerprints were verified and then we waited in line for our interview.
My visa officer was a young African American lady. I was carrying a copy of the 797 form because I hadn’t received the original form sent by my lawyer.
- Where is the original document?
- Is this only for renewal? (The approval period was 3 years. I answered that I was applying for the first time for an H1 visa.)
- Will you be working for XYZ?
- What is your job title, salary, and location of work?
- When did you start working for XYZ? (I answered that I began working in 2014 when I was on Optional Practical Training. They applied in 2014 and 2015 for H1 but did not get picked. Once OPT ended, I worked as a contractor for them.)
She asked for my educational qualifications and checked the student visa stamped on my old passport. She verified all my details for 15 minutes and issued my visa.
This is the visa stamping/visa interview experience submitted by a visa applicant.
I am grateful to PrepEZ for helping me prepare for my visa interview.
Fingerprinting is a fast and smooth experience. You are required to furnish the DS-160 form, appointment confirmation letter, and your current passport. However, the details on the DS-160 form and the passport should match. If there is a discrepancy, you can get it corrected at a specific counter.
You will need the following documents for your visa interview: DS-160 form, appointment confirmation, current passport, and original I-797 B approval notice. You should keep your educational certificates ready in a separate folder.
I was allowed to join the queue at 9:15 a.m. for my appointment which was scheduled at 9:30 a.m. However, people with an 11 a.m. appointment were ahead of me in the queue. This is possible because the time of your appointment is not checked, only the date is.
Your passport, appointment letter, and stamped DS-160 form are verified before you are let in. Inside, you are frisked and then allowed to enter the consulate. From this point on, your passport is sufficient so you can keep your I-797 on top of your appointment confirmation and DS-160 form.
I had a stern visa officer, whereas the officers were friendly.
- Who is your petitioner?
- How long have you worked for your petitioner?
- Who is your client?
- Have you worked for this client previously? If yes, for how long?
- Which city are you going to?
- Which state does the city belong to?
- What are your qualifications?
- What is your job title?
- What is your salary?
Do not carry any electronic devices, watches, or purses with you. Arrive at your venue early, even if your appointment is not due for another hour.