Steps to Apply for Student Pass to Study in Singapore
Singapore offers a wide spectrum of high-quality study programs in her schools/institutions for international students who desire to study in the country. Interestingly, immigration requirements to enter the country are remarkably straightforward even if you need a visa. Here, you are going to be provided with information that will enable you get your head around what needs to done if you do wish to study in Singapore.
The student’s pass is what you need to be able to study in Singapore. Some students will need a visa to enter the country as well as the student’s pass. The application process for the student’s pass is the same for students who need a visa and those who don’t.
APPLYING FOR THE STUDENT’S PASS:
The student’s pass can be acquired as follows:
- Gain admission into a designated Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) in Singapore. Institutions of higher learning in Singapore include Singapore Management University, Nanyang Technological University, National University of Singapore etc.
- Complete the registration process at the university to receive the Student’s Pass Online Application & Registration (SOLAR) reference number. This reference number is very important when you are initiating the process for the student’s pass.
- Get Student’s Pass Online Application & Registration (SOLAR) reference number from the university. Once you have completed the registration process at the University, the University would initiate the Student’s Pass Application first. The university/ institute of higher learning (IHL) is required to provide the following information:
- Your name, date of birth, gender and nationality (as mentioned in your passport)
- Course details, course commencement and course end dates
- SOLAR application reference number
Once the same has been completed, the SOLAR reference number would be forwarded to you.
- Login to the SOLAR of ICA (Immigration and Checkpoints Authority)
Once you have received the SOLAR Reference Number, you can login to the SOLAR website. On the web page you would be asked to login using the reference number. You would also be required to provide some basic information (refer to the checklist provided in the earlier segment) to initiate the process and make a fee payment.
- Submit the eForm 16 along with the processing fee of US$30
Once you login, you would be required to submit the eForm 16. You would also be required to provide other details as explicitly mentioned by the University along with a processing fee of S$30. You can make the payment either through a debit/credit card or through internet banking.
Note: ICA may request some applicants to furnish it with additional documents in support of the application, where necessary.
After submission of the eForm 16 through SOLAR, take a print out of the eForm for submission to the Student’s Pass Unit, ICA, to complete formalities for the issuance of a Student’s Pass.
- Receive the In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter by ICA
For those who require a visa to enter Singapore, the processing time for your application is about 10 days. This, however, might take a bit longer in July/August hence you must initiate the process as soon as possible.
You would be issued with an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter as soon as your application is processed and approved. This letter would be sent to you by your university/ IHL.
Note that, your Visa would be incorporated within this letter and you need not apply separately for the same. This letter, when produced at the checkpoints would help you gain entry into Singapore.
- Report to ICA for Issuance of Student’s Pass upon arrival to Singapore
As mentioned, you can travel to Singapore with the IPA. Once you arrive, you must go to the ICA Building to complete the formalities and get your Student’s Pass.
Once you enter Singapore, your documents would be checked and you would be provided with a temporary social visit pass at the checkpoint.
On arrival in Singapore, students are required to report to the Student’s Pass Unit, 4th floor, ICA Building, for formalities to be completed for the issuance of a Student’s Pass within the duration of the social visit pass granted at the checkpoint. You would be entertained only if you have prior appointment. There is an e-appointment system and it is recommended that you seek an appointment first and then go to the ICA office for your Student Pass.
Some universities also organize offsite camps for Student’s Pass. If your university has that facility, you would be informed in advance.
You are required to report to the Self-Service Ticketing Kiosk 3 located at Visitor Services Centre 4th Storey, ICA Building to obtain a queue ticket for your Student’s Pass.
Documents Required for Issuance of Student’s Pass
- The student’s valid passport. Carry a copy of the passport as you would need to submit the same.
- The Disembarkation/Embarkation card of the student, granted on entry into Singapore.
- One recent colour passport-sized photograph (taken on white background);
- The printout of eForm 16 submitted through SOLAR (duly signed by the applicant);
- A copy of the in-principle approval letter; and
- A medical report in the prescribed format (available on ICA’s website).
- Change of Address Form (if applicable)
- Signed copy of the “Terms & Conditions for Student’s Pass (STP) Card”. Click here for copy of the form.
- Issuance Fee of US$60 to be submitted. In case you require a multiple entry permission, an additional US$30 would be chargeable to you.