Questions asked in 2 H1B/H4 Visa Interviews
My visa interview was scheduled at New Delhi.
I arrived at the venue at 9:30 a.m. for my OFC appointment at 10:30 a.m.
- Enter all details in the DS-160 form carefully.
- Your appointment confirmation is checked by security and appointment time is validated. You are either let in or asked to wait your turn outside if you’re too early.
- An officer checks the appointment confirmation, passport, and DS-160 form. I had incorrectly entered my wife’s name in the form so I had to go to the correction booth next to the OFC center. You are charged INR 300 for corrections.
- Once inside, you undergo a security check. A bar code is added to your passport and it is scanned and checked with your DS-160 form.
- We collect our tokens and await our turn to be photographed and fingerprinted.
It helps to be at the office around 15 minutes early so that you don’t have to wait for too long in the queue. Phones can be carried inside but have to be switched off. The only documents that you are required to carry are your passport, DS-160 form, and appointment confirmation.
I arrived an hour early for my interview and was let inside without any delay. You are allowed inside even if you are early or late by half an hour.
- You undergo a security check and are then allowed inside.
- After waiting for 10 minutes, I reached the first verification counter where the appointment time and barcode on the passport is checked.
- Your fingerprints are validated next and you’re asked to wait your turn for your interview.
- You wait behind a yellow line while the person in front of you is being interviewed.
- What do you do for XYZ company?
- What is the highest qualification that you hold?
- What is your salary?
- When do you expect to travel?
- (To wife) What is your highest qualification?
- (To wife) How long have you been married?
- (To wife) Have you held an H1B or H4 visa before?
You may get nervous when people ahead of you have their visa rejected. However, it is best to answer the officer’s questions with a smile.
Try to tune out the interviews happening around you (it’s tough) to keep your anxiety levels low.
Read the I-129 and all relevant documents to build confidence.
This is the visa stamping/visa interview experience submitted by a visa applicant.
My H1B visa was approved in October.
At our OFC appointment, we were required to carry our passport and a copy of the DS-160 form. A barcode was attached to the back of our passport. Then our photos were taken and fingerprints were recorded. The entire process took around 10 minutes.
Our fingerprints were verified, after which we went to the interview hall where we were seated sequentially. We were able to overhear the interviews of other applicants because the seats are not too far from the interview cabins. I noticed that candidates were getting rejected more at three particular windows as compared to the others. I hoped not to get those visa officers.
- Is XYZ your petitioner?
- How long have you been working with this organization? (It was a new opportunity.)
- Do you have a client? (Yes.)
- How did you find out about this opportunity? (I was browsing job websites.)
- What is your yearly salary?
- What is your highest educational qualification?
- Where do you live?
- Do you have your rights pamphlet?
My interview lasted only 2 minutes and the officer did not ask for any documents.